Thursday, October 01, 2009


I'm a huge believer in fate. I believe that we walk certain paths so that we do certain things and meet certain people. I believe that if, say, you get the urge to drop everything, quit your job and move to New York City with a van full of stuff and an uncashed tax return check YOU SHOULD DO IT. Because you never know if you'll get that job where the employer went through 18 applicants to get to you and then they assign you a desk right next to the man you're going to marry in 5 years. Trust me. It happens. ;)

So I now believe that fate stepped in again last Monday when I went to the ER at Lenox Hill Hospital. I knew I was being admitted so I packed up my overnight bag and washed my hair and face and headed off. I spent most of the day laying around in a drugged up haze until they moved me to a room at about 8:00 pm. There was no one in the room so I was able to choose the window bed. Now I knew I was getting a room mate. Hospitals are way too efficient to over look an empty bed and the ER was pretty packed that day. The only thing I was looking forward to during my stay, well except for pain relief, was some peace and quiet. Now I worried that my room mate would be loud or mean or worse, really really sick.

When I heard them rolling in a gurney I knew this was it. The curtain between the beds was drawn so I couldn't see anything. It took them some time to get settled in before they walked to the bathroom which was by my bed. She smiled at me and said "Hi roomy. I'm Susan." She seemed to be about my age and her smile reminded me of a friend I've had since the 9th grade. Over the next three days Susan and I formed a friendship that I think will last.

Susan came to the ER from dinner so she was wearing her pearls and earrings with her hospital gown. We hit it off right away and talked about everything. We both got Heparin shots that gave us murderous headaches. So we formed the Anti-Heparin League and started taking walks in the hallway to prevent both the shots and the blood clots. Like I said, Susan had on her pearls and she also had to carry her handbag with her on our walks. So imagine the two of us strolling arm in arm down the hallway dragging IV carts and chattering away. We even had one of those traditional hospital episodes where a nice young doctor comes up and says "Um Miss, you should close the back of your gown." Ah yes . . . you can imagine I'm sure. It totally cracked us up (could have been the drugs) and we were also highly amused by the young resident who had to come in and ask about our bowel movements every day. Nice.

On Thursday morning before they came to get me for surgery Susan asked for my husband's phone number so she could check on me. Luis told me later that she called and he filled her in. After the surgery I was moved to a different room and when my family left I was very sad. I realized this was the first time I had been there alone because I had always had Susan right next door. We spoke again when she called me the next day to check in and see if I was sent home yet. It's like we've known each other forever.

Now imagine the odds in a city the size of New York to end up sharing a hospital room with someone you get along with so well. Sounds like we were fated to be friends, no? :)

I hope to get together with her soon and cash in on her promise to teach me to cook something French. So once my week of doctors visits is past and my friend who is visiting next week has come and gone (Hi Ida! Seems we were fated to be friends, too, huh?) I hope to see Susan again.

Susan, thank you so so much for being there. (Though I am sorry it was so painful for the two of us.) It really made a scary situation much better.

As to my health, I've been getting around pretty well, don't so much need that cane anymore but anything that falls on the floor stays on the floor. I've been doing some cross stitch and watching some TV and anxiously awaiting my return to normal life. I hope to have some projects to share soon!



Unknown said...

Oh, that is a great story! Brought a big smile to my face. :)

wayfarer said...

I hope you feel better soon! I'm glad you had the hospital experience you had. So many times, it's not that way. :-)

Sandra said...

I think it was meant to be that you and Susan meet. :)

Jennifer W. said...

Wow - awesome!

Now get better so you guys can go hang out (and I don't mean out of the back of hospital gowns!)

RaNae @EweCreekCottage said...

big smiles here thanks for sharing and looking forward to the rest of the story.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Aww, thats a great story!

Mom IsAmagpie said...

I'm a firm believer in fate as well. It's wonderful to hear a great fate story!
I hope you are feeling better soon, and enjoy all your visits.
Lots of gentle hugs.


Related Posts with Thumbnails