Saturday, April 26, 2008

One Man's Trash . . .

On Wednesday I was lucky to get to hit a rummage sale and some thrifts with Vax Girl. (I really need to remember to ask her what that means lol) We met at a central spot and then took off like the wind in search of treasures.



First the miscellany: Two sweet crocheted pot holders and a fabric one shaped like a bonnet, a roll of peach (I swear it's a lovely shade though looks pukey here) Dennison crepe paper and Dennison photo corners, a small canning jar and pack of old Crazy Eights cards.

Now I have no idea what I'll do with this but I had to have it:



A vintage christening outfit still in the box. It's so sweet I can't even stand it. There is a stain on the coat but I'm hoping Oxy will sort that out.

And my favorite finds of the day:



I stumbled on a whole bag of fun vintage Christmas items! I have rarely found items other than glass balls so this is a real treat. And finally this year I'll be able to join one of those vintage holiday swaps! If I can bear to part with any of it, of course.



I love these little Japanese elves. I never thought I'd luck into some! The big one has bells inside of him and he's my favorite. His head is falling off a bit but I might sew it down if I can't shove it back in there somehow. Everything is now packed away with the holiday stuff and I'm sure I'll get a kick out of rediscovering it come November. (And no MOM, you can't have my elves. ;) )

Off to thrift again today. DH has a work function that is too close to the big thrift store not to catch a ride.

Cheers
Rebecca

12 comments:

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

those elves are too cute!!!

How are you doing, lots of thrifty goodness going on here as usual...

Barbara said...

It must be elf season; I found 2 yesterday! Great vintage Christmas finds!

Jodi Ohl said...

I love how excited you get over all your finds!! Congrats on the vintage Christmas items!! Hope you find lots of goodies today as well!

Sid Simpson said...

I have got to comment on those Elves. P: )
My grandmother had DOZENS of them. The one Christmas we spent at her house when I was in kindergarten, I had major trauma. Our first night, I had to go to the bathroom. I was disorientated and in a hurry. I went in, turned on the light, and saw Santa starting at me from the toilette seat cover. I was nervous, and lifted the lid only to be scared stupid by the fact that on the inside of the lid, Santa was peeking at me from behind his hand. I ran screaming into the parlor, flipped on the light, and was confronted by the elves which were mocking my now accident ridden PJs.
truly, I had nightmares for weeks!

They still make me shudder. : )

Monica said...

I would've bought the outfit in the box also!!! I love the Knee huggers!!

I had to work so I went at 5:30 at night, there wasn't anything too good there!

Kai said...

Oooooooh! Great finds! And you are SO right! Mom, you CAN'T have Rebecca's elves 'cause they are for KAI! Bwahahahahaha! Just kidding - I DOOOOO love elves tho' - almost as much as I love gingerbread people. That little outfit, by the way, is to DIE for! Hope the Oxy does the trick! See? I TOLD you I should go thrifting with you, didn't I?

Snippety Gibbet said...

I so understand your attachement to your thrifting treasures. They're so one of a kind....in a way....certainly not easily replaceable. I have some tiny little thrifted vases on my dresser that I bought to give away....but just cannot.

Pearl Maple said...

Thrifiting treasure is a special experience, unearthing finds, knowing that they were special to someone in past life and giving those treasures a new way to shine, what could be more fun.

Jane said...

The cheeks on those little elves are killing me--sssooo cute!

Have you seen this tradition...
http://www.elfontheshelf.com/
I could so see you getting into this with the kiddies in your life.

MMM-I just want to pinch those cheeks!

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

the little pointy toed stockings are super cute!

Julie said...

What great finds, esp the elves!

King Family said...

In the sixties, Proctor&Gamble had a dish soap, peach in color and fragrance. They attached an elf such as these as a freebie. Just thought you might want to know. Product name was Thrill
When my mother bought them she would top a present with those. I wish I had them now to tuck in the gaps of one of my vintage aluminum Christmas trees.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails