Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tough Breaks & a Swap Update

Hello all . . . first a quick swap update:

I am waiting for one interested party to respond with an email address so we have an even number of swappers. If I do not hear from here in the next two days I will be looking for an additional swapper to even out our ranks. If you are interested, please let me know! Because this is taking longer than I expected I'll also push back our send out date by a week.

And now the tough break:

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I know millions of people live with it every day but I am freaking out. I won't see an endocrinologist until September (thank you, over populated NYC) and am trying to follow the GI diet in the mean time. I'm also crossing my fingers that the nerve pain I'm having in my leg is not related. I should know more about that tomorrow.

Sorry to be such a downer but I wanted you to know I am still here plugging along and at least I know why I've been so exhausted lately and have been losing so much weight. (not too much complaining there, ahem.)

And just so we have some photos, here are some shots of the lovely picnic set up by my dear friend Nina, my Mother and myself over the weekend:





We had a wonderful time eating, chatting and swimming. It was so nice to enjoy the warm summer days with friends I hadn't seen in awhile.

I'll be back soon with the swap update and to share some finds from the latest Treasure Sale!

fondly,
Rebecca

12 comments:

Shara said...

Rebecca, I am so sorry about your recent diagnosis! My parents have both been diagnosed in the last few years, so I know my time is probably coming. I wish you luck with your new lifestyle. I know you willd fine! Take care of yourself!

If you ned someone extra, I will joint the swap.

Jennifer W. said...

Sorry to hear about the dignosis, but hope all works out well. I'll be thinking about you.

Quiltingranny said...

What Swap? I'll join if your other person flakes! compassionatequilter@rocketmail.com.
Diabetes is treatable, you may have to change some things, but I know several people who live with it everyday and feel blessed!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Rebecca -- I'm so sorry! I don't know anything about diabetes, other than, as you said, lots of people live with it. Small consolation though, when it's YOU. Good Luck with your diet. ;-)

Unknown said...

Rebecca, that stinks about the diabetes but hopefully the GI diet will help and you'll be feeling better soon. At least you know what it is now so you know a course of action to take. Hugs!

Heidi said...

I know this is becoming so common. Good luck with controlling it. I know lots of people who are living with diabetes and doing well.

wayfarer said...

Sorry to hear about the diabetes...

If you don't find another swapper, you can drop me since i officially signed up late. If you do find one, then great, count me in. Sounds like fun. :-)

flanthrower said...

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. That's a real bummer. My mom's getting tested for this now and she's also freaking out about it. Hope you get to a see a good doctor soon.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Thinking of you sweetie!
Sonya

em said...

I'm sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with diabetes. Be sure to take good care of yourself. The GI diet should be very helpful for you.

*hugs*

Anne said...

What type of diabetes do you have?

Natasha said...

Rebecca- sorry to hear about your diognosis. DO not fret, my father was a diabetic for 42 years and it is completly controllable. I know that it is difficult to see the a bright spot but it is there and you are such a strong women that you can handle this! The diet is the most important and that just takes consideration and preparation so you always know what you will need. You are in my thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails