Monday, March 31, 2008

Mainstream Bargains

I don't often talk too much about bargains beyond the thrift store. (Unless you count the clearance section at Michaels but for today's lesson we're not, okay?) I used to be much better in my bargain hunting particularly on groceries. I was a coupon cutter and perused the grocery circulars with red pen in hand. I don't get a paper anymore and they are tough to find in my neighborhood on Sundays (seems I can only locate the ones that don't have coupons) and I've gotten lazy and started ordering my groceries from time to time. That is a New York City luxury.

I do, of course, still look for bargains and decided on this post as a big old pat on the back for me and my purchases from Macy's yesterday. I went on a mission. I wanted these. Fiesta ware in scarlet. Oh boy did I want those. If you clicked on that link you'll see that the 16 piece setting is on sale for $143.99 from $192.00. Well, if any of you have a Macy's credit card you probably get a pound of mail from them each week like I do. I flip through the catalogs, stuff the coupons in my bag and usually forget about them when it comes time to shop. Well I happened to spy my red Fiesta ON SALE this weekend. The 4 piece set was regular price of $48 but if you bought one you got a second place setting free! Okay, let's do the math . . . . x plus y with a common denominator of z equals . . . yes, $96 for 4 four piece settings which is the same as the 16 pieces I wanted. Zing! So off I went . . .



Voila! Four sets* of Fiesta! Then, while waiting in line I spied this on sale for $69.99:


It's a Martha Stewart 7 quart enamal on cast iron baker whose regular price is $119.99 so this was a good deal and I have been eying it up. And won't it go so well with my other cast iron cookware?? So I drag all 50 pounds of it (lol) to the register and dig out my Macy's card. What is in my wallet? A $25 off coupon! So after it's all rung up, 4 sets of Fiesta Ware and one great big pot, my total is around $145 with tax. Oh, and I have $100 in gifts cards to boot.

So that, my friends, was my big bargain yesterday and you know how I get excited over pots and plates. It was a very good day.



And look how lovely! (That's a red lotus dish I picked up at the thrift and it matches perfectly!)

So pat, pat, pat. Good job to me! And thanks to Joolz for helping me lug it all to the car!!

xoxoxoxo

* - yes I know there are only 3 sets in my pictures, one plate had a small flaw so it's going back to the store. The only flaw to an otherwise perfect shopping day.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did really good! I love the red Fiesta. I have two settings of it and my kids fight over it. Good job on your great deals! It's kind of a rush, isn't it? :)

Breanna said...

Great bargain hunting! I just got new dishes too, but mine are white. You know I love red though...

Feather Gold said...

Whew! Marathon shopping, that's what we did yesterday. Although we got a late start, you did pretty well. The red Feista wares look so pretty in the picture, though not as cute in person :-) Well worth lugging 50 lbs when you see that it makes someone happy! :-) Corny yes, but true!

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

yay! I love Macy's deals, I have those on a rare occasion.

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous shade of red!! Well done!

LA said...

I have been eyeing Fiesta ware for awhile now. I'm getting ready to change my set as the one I have is old, tired, chipped and missing pieces. Hhhhhmmmmm, now you've got me really wanting it. I'm loving the red, too!

Jenn Maruska said...

Yay, as usual, you are the thrifting queen!!! : D

Jane said...

Awesome! You know I love red!

Mom IsAmagpie said...

I love red Fiesta ware, those are some awesome deals. I didn't know about the red Martha Cast iron. That's really cool I'm going to have to check it out, I'm trying to replace almost all my kitchen stuff with cast iron a piece at a time. Congratulations on your bargains, it's the best rush ever!

Wendy said...

Wow! Candy apple red dishes!
Very Happy!

Roxanne said...

LOVE the cast iron pot!! I am crazy about cooking with cast iron these days! The fiesta ware is beautiful as well! Nice baragain shopping as always!

Sara said...

THANK YOU for this post! I had no idea that Macy's was having a sale on Fiestaware. I read your post, called my store immediately, put two sets of turquoise on hold and just beat the end of the sale. I now have 6 sets of the turquoise and now I want 2 more for a full 8.

Vallen said...

Can't wait for dinner!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails