Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Wanna Swap Me For It?

As you know, I have MAJOR swap angst at any given time. Right now I am sweating over three personal swaps with three very established creative ladies, Vallen, Jen and Natasha.

I. AM. FREAKING. OUT.

No seriously, I am so nervous my swappy prowess won't match up or, swap god forbid it, I'm LATE in sending my package out OR, EVEN WORSE, I have no clue what to make. So why do I do it? Aside from the obvious adoration I share for the creative wonders that come from these three bloggers and many others, I love the push it gives me to create something with someone specific in mind. Each of my personal swaps (and these are my first, in truth) is very exciting and challenging in a good way. I can't wait to show you what I create for my new friends! I just hope they like it. ;) (angst, angst, angst)

Another great part of swapping is when you open your partners package and see what they put together with you in mind. I just received this package from Roxanne who was my buddy in Vallen's mounted ATC swap. Girl, you spoiled me!



Not only did I get a fabulous ATC, she also included chocolate (yum . . . what diet?), a tiny pin cushion (I love all things tiny AND cushiony), a measuring tape (this is going in my purse for when I need to measure sheets at the thrift - ahem, L.A.), ball fringe (who doesn't love this??), tiny paper file folders (favorite spring color combo), a green trivet (is this thrifted? Now you know I love thrifted!) and a scrap of the fabric that inspired her ATC. I thought it was so clever to include that, I enjoyed knowing what sparked the idea behind this:



The ATC is actually tacked to the cork board and can be removed (as if I would do that!). The little fabric thumb tacks are so cute! Roxanne shared the link to the tutorial, you can find it here.

I really enjoyed making Roxanne's ATC, too. The mounting was a fun challenge and thanks to Leigh Ann I was able to make something a bit more unique than what I originally had in mind. She actually pointed out two things that I could use for mounting both of which I snatched up for a song at the thrift. Here is the frame I didn't use for Roxanne's ATC with it's own little bit of art inside:



Sorry about that glare, this is some shiny Modge Podge. Do they make it in matte? I'll have to check. Anyway, it was fun making this little collage (it's even smaller than an ATC) and I think a new craft has been born for me. Look out!

Want to see the one I made for Roxanne? Well check back later in the week, I don't want to spoil the surprise.

cheers
RR

13 comments:

An Odd Duck said...

I love how you ended up doing it. It really looks great. You are so inspiring with the way that you really think of other people's interests when you make things for them. I love it.

Roxanne said...

I am so glad you like it! The green trivet was thrifted for a whole quarter! I have the match to it. I can't wait to see what you've created!!

Sarah and Jack said...

Your little collage is gorgeous.

If you need to avoid the flashproblem, try taking the photo outside with the flash turned off. (Yes, I had to read the book on my camera to sort out how to turn off the flash. LOL)

Jodi Ohl said...

Rebecca-Awesome first collage! Aren't they fun? Endless possibilities is the way I see it, and you can use a lot of your odds and ends up in your pieces.

I think probably everyone has Swapitis when they participate in swaps, worrying over whether or not your partner is going to like what you chose, will it be good enough, will you get it done on time..blah blah blah..but in the end it more than not works out to everyone's delight. :) That's why we keep on doing it!

Oh and there is modge podge matte, I've used both now and I've realized--pick up a BIG bottle, you'll save money in the end. Also, you can thin a little out with water and still have a good effect. Have fun!

lucy

LA said...

I love, love, love the fairy collage. What a way to begin collaging/ATC-ing with a bam! I can't wait to see the one for the swap.

I'm so glad you got a tape measure of your own!

Cheers! LA

Jane said...

The collage is darling and the size makes it just the thing to tuck into a nook or crany around the house!

Fabric covered tacks- a project for the next swap! Hmmm!

Unknown said...

Oh man, I always have swap anxiety! I am wracked with thoughts of swap inadequacy and secretly wonder if my partners really like what I've sent or if they're just saying they do to be nice! So you're not alone!

I have one of those little JoAnn's tape measures in my purse, especially for thrifting! It has come in handy a number of times. Plus it entertains the baby. :)

Love your ATC! very pretty!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

It looks like you do a fantastic job, but I know what you mean about the angst! I just completed my first swap and man did I fret.
Ele

Betty Jo said...

I adore you ATC. It's gorgeous! Please tell me what you used for a backing, mounted it on. I don't have a clue how to even begin and I would love to make one. Are there directions anywhere on the net that you would recommend for a newbie? xoxo

Betty Jo said...

Hi Rebecca. I ran back over to find your email addy but can't seem to locate it. :(

Vallen said...

Are you kidding? I sweat every single swap including the one I hosted and am sending to Leigh Ann. I am so happy peole chose this swap to dip their feet into the ATC pool. Thank you for consenting to participate.

Breanna said...

What a great swap! I am going to have to have a go at those thumb tacks sometime soon. Your collage is really sweet. About that swapping angst? It appears that we aren't alone. Why are we all so hard on ourselves, anyway?

Natasha said...

Oh dear, I missed this post. Now I am going to let you in on a secret... {did she really put my name and established in the same sentance?} No one has ever asked me personally to swap for something I made. I, repeat, I asked you. Hmmmm why? because I admire your abilities!!! So no more worries you are admired enough so that I put aside my own self doubt to swap with you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails