Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Drive By Thrifting

Since I got out of work early yesterday I decided to stop by the Goodwill in Astoria. I've gone on and on about how awful the thrifting is in New York City. Sadly, I still feel that way. I didn't expect to find some great enlightenment at the Astoria GW but I also didn't expect a dirty junk store. Even the Savers in West Hempstead is better. MUCH better actually. And Astoria is supposedly a much better neighborhood. Hmm.

Anyway, I did find a few things:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

lamp shade - $3.99 - will go perfectly in my dining room once I find the perfect lamp and paint it black, nice quality fabric, too.

snowman plate - 49 cents - from Target, it will make a nice plate to gift some cookies on this year.

compote bowls - 49 cents each - good for jello and maybe now I won't have to serve jello cocktails . . .

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So not bad considering the amount of total crap that place held. I doubt I'll visit more than maybe once every few months.

I also stopped at the craft store for the fixin's to make mini penguins and mitten clips. I started the mittens last night but I really need a different glue. Any suggestions on gluing felt to cardboard? Maybe I will try hot glue . . .

Anyway, I leave you with a picture of the peanut dog peeking around the frame of our new door. I think the fancy brass floor plate is throwing him off. (He also just had his mustache trimmed and was probably afraid of what else I would cut off.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

until next time . . . xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would try Aleene's Tacky Glue for your mittens project. It's in a metallic gold squeeze bottle, and they sell it everywhere, but here's a link: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/alortacglu.html

Happy Crafting! :) Love the lampshade by the way.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the lampshade! It will look perfect with with a black lamp. I have toile envy! :)

And you KNOW that I'm ridiculously compelled to make felt mitten everything now! Which is silly, considering mittens aren't actually de regeur wardrobe down here in south Florida. Sigh.... I need to figure out an alternate item/pattern I can do w/the whole mitten idea that's maybe a tad more warm weather appropriate. Open to any and all suggestions! I'm REALLY into garland....

-9

jungle dream pagoda said...

I love the lampshade ,how wonderful it will look with the pillows and tablecloth you thrifted earlier in the summer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails