Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Luck of the Irish

Hello! I'm back! And boy have I missed you guys. Luis and I had a lovely vacation which was much too short. They always are. I got a touch of sunburn and drank something called a Naked Angel. It was very yummy. I should go on vacation all the time. ;)

So when I was visiting my parents my Mom asked me to help her go through some things in my Grandfather's house. He has recently moved to a nursing home and they are planning to rent his house to give him a little extra income.



That's my Pop when he was in the Navy during WWII. He was stationed in Saipan. Sorry for the glare, I only thought to snap a shot of the picture I took from his house this morning on my way out the door. I need to scan the photo in I think.

So why the luck of the Irish? My Granny, who passed away in the late 90s, was Catherine Mulaney. About as Irish as they come. I found this in her pantry:



Thanks to my resident Pyrex Expert Sarah, I know this is the Friendship pattern and I believe it's a complete set. There are 5 dishes in all and the lids are intact. The only difference I noted where that the lids of the two large refrigerator dishes are different. You can see it below:



Notice how the bottom large cover doesn't have consistent ridges like the other lids do. Does anyone know if this is the original lid? I'm so excited to have this set!

I have some more things to share from my Pop's house but first, right after we left his house we stopped at the thrift and I found this:



This is the New Holland pattern and this is a large baker, I'm guessing the 2.5 quart. Usually when I see colored Pyrex at the thrift it is badly worn. So I guess I have a collection now! I already had a few of the Butterprint refrigerator dishes but this is the best haul yet.

So what else was at Pop's?



Four pieces of Franciscan Ware that I just adore! It's so pretty. I also found an old box of Christmas wrapping paper and a few pink ornaments that will look great on my feather tree.

And did someone say orange and yellow??



This is all from the thrift store and the orange & yellow pieces you see MAY be part of the prize packs for the container contest winners in the Summer Fun Swap over at Sweet Goodness! Don't you just love that metal pineapple upside down cake pan?? I have a mini cake pan that matches. :) And that table cloth! Usually I don't find something in the exact colors I'm looking for. What a lucky find. And my favorite item from above?



This tiny bunch of vintage velvet millinery flowers was hiding in a bag of fake silk flowers and tiny baskets. :) Yes, it was a lucky day.

So it's good to be back and I'm glad to share some unique finds with you. Now I need to catch up with every one's blogs and get my Summer Swap package out. I'll be seeing you soon!

R.R.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I used to live in Saipan! That's pretty close to my homeland island...

Ok, I seriously think I'm stealing the orange/red/bird pyrex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. I'm serious.

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh, you weren't kidding, they are terrific!

Maybe Heidi knows about the lid thing?

The flowers are awesome too. I love finding those.

(ok, the code for today's test here is vzvzv, what a wierd code. LOL)

Anonymous said...

oohh...that's some seriously lovely pyrex!

So email me (laurenkelly88@yahoo.com)...my yahoo account got messed up and I lost a lot of emails, including your addresses...

I got the potholder and it's LOVELY! I'll be giving it to my mom on Friday...I'll take a pic for you.

Unknown said...

All righty, I consulted my Pyrex book and it shows both of your lids. For the one with the ridges just at the top and bottom it says "the earliest lid designs" (there is another lid without handles shown) and then for the one with the ridges evenly spaced it says "a lid design offered after 1950". The Friendship set is the patterned one and the small red and orange containers. I'm pretty sure the large yellow one is from a different set, which would explain the different lid. Does it have a number on the bottom?

Great finds on the other stuff. Love everything!

Christina J. said...

That's some great Pyrex! I love that pineapple upside down pan! Good stuff!

Julie said...

I'm glad I visited your blog tonight. I have one of the Franciscan Ware teacups. It is so pretty that I keep it around even though it has a big crack in it.

Jenn Maruska said...

Great finds! It's so good to have you back! : )

Jane said...

The fact that the beautiful set came from your grandmother makes it all the more special! I can't wait till my partner gets her stuff so that I can post my pics at flicker!

Breanna said...

I am green with envy over those refrigerator dishes. I have been stalking ebay auctions, looking for the perfect set, trying to justify the purchase. Yours are fantastic!

Heidi said...

I found some Pyrex this month too (I just posted it on my blog). Congrats on starting a collection.

I just sent off my O&Y package today

Anonymous said...

I'm also totally digging that pyrex! Congrats!!

Mama Said Sew said...

Looks like you were very lucky!

Welcome back. Glad you had a nice vacation. :)

Gill said...

Wecome back, we missed you too! Great finds, are you going to show us pics of your vacation? It's good to see how people spend their holidays.

Anonymous said...

NEat! I have that New Holland Baker, I had no idea that's what it was called. My mil gave it to me. My lid doesn't fit quite right though. I use it for making oven stews and homemade mac and cheese. Love it!

PattieJ said...

I am new to your blog and just wanted to say I love it! Two of my favorite things are thrifting and crafting too! I will definitly be visiting again! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wanted to comment on what a handsome guy your grandpa was! Lovely blog as well : )

CONNIE W said...

Enjoyed reading your post. Pyrex is becoming collectible I see. Thrifting is so fun.

Dana said...

Wowza!!!! You have your self a beautiful collection!

And I love your thrift finds too!!!!!!

Jodi Ohl said...

We missed you too!! What wonderful finds at your grandparents home, lucky girl!

And look at you with all the luck finding more y&o goodies for the prize packs :) I can't wait to see everyone's packages.


lucy

Anonymous said...

So fun to get family treasures! I've been lurking for quite a while and decided to start my own blog. I have the need to thrift like you! Thanks for all the beautiful pictures, it's like a trip to the thrift store every time!

linda t said...

Your Dad looks like Gene Kelly! So handsome!

Loving your Pyrex finds! I have never seen the New Holland pattern! And I thought I had seen it all! Sooo excited for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails