Monday, July 02, 2007

Bear Mountain

The weather has changed here! After some big rains we had lovely cool temps in the low 70s. So on Saturday Luis and I took a drive up to Bear Mountain.



Our first stop was the Plumbush Inn in Cold Spring, a town just past the mountain and right on the Hudson River. Cold Spring is one of my favorite places to visit. I've been there several times and always enjoy it. They have numerous antique stores and quaint little restaurant. This is a view of the grounds of Plumbush from our table:



The weather was breezy and we sat on the veranda. The food was excellent, the wine crisp and the view superb! Bliss!

We then went to Bear Mountain State Park.



Young black bears live in a habitat on the mountain. You can see how close we were to them and there are no fences, only a ravine which I'm assuming they can't jump. However, the young bears really could care less that we were there. They frolicked and played like any kids would on a breezy summer day.

Here's handsome hubby in front of a statue of Walt Whitman:



People in the Northeast sure love Walt Whitman. You find statues of him everywhere. Someone should do a whole blog called "Where's Walt?" or something like that.

To the Garden the World
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

To the garden, the world, anew ascending,
Potent mates, daughters, sons, preluding,
The love, the life of their bodies, meaning and being,
Curious, here behold my resurrection, after slumber;
The revolving cycles, in their wide sweep, have brought me again,
Amorous, mature—all beautiful to me—all wondrous;
My limbs, and the quivering fire that ever plays through them, for reasons, most wondrous;
Existing, I peer and penetrate still,
Content with the present—content with the past,
By my side, or back of me, Eve following,
Or in front, and I following her just the same

And just so you can get a peek of how beautiful our day was:



The Bear Mountain bridge across the Hudson. We plan to go back again and walk the trails to Fort Montgomery which played a major role in the American Revolution. Happy Fourth of July.


cheers,
Rebecca

*****************************
Just a note . . . seems my post on Friday about cheap finds at the dollar stores may have ruffled some feathers and brought up issues of cheap labor forces in foreign countries. While I consider myself aware of these issues and countless others I do not wish to make this blog a place for discussion of them. I am more than happy to discuss these issues through emails but would rather not do so in this public forum. I feel it can lead to bad feelings and this is a happy place! I will refrain from posting about other dollar store finds so as not to offend anyone and do appreciate the additional information provided on the topic. I'd rather stick to thrifts and crafts and the occasional ramblings on other mundane subjects. I hope you understand and consider to give your opinions, I really do love reading them. I only wish to keep things light and cheerful here at Thrifty Goodness. Thank you.

12 comments:

LA said...

Gorgeous pictures! It was a beautiful day. I'm glad you could get out and enjoy it. :)

LA xo

Jodi Ohl said...

I've been to Bear Mountain once upon a time when I went to school up that way just across the Tapan Zee bridge. It is beautiful. I wish I had stopped and visited that town though--however, we just passed through on our way to West Point. :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

lucy

Unknown said...

ohmigoodness I love Bear Mountain. We used to take field trips there when I was a kid. I haven't been in a while, but I sure do love that place!

Jane said...

I have been to Bear Mountain many times, but I never knew about the bear habitat! Now its a "must do" for my next trip to Jersey. Golly I LOVE bears!

Anonymous said...

Bear Mountain! Site of my 8th grade class trip!

Alex M said...

And don't forget that there's a mall named after the famous poet too!!!

When we were kids, we always used to sing "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" on our way there...

Anonymous said...

First of all, LOL... I chuckled at your p.s. statement. Guess I missed the exciting controversy. And to think you lived through it. Shocking.

Second, that trip through the woods is so serene looking!! How FUN!
I'm so due for a vacation girl, it aint funnyyyyy! Take me wicha next time k?

And thirds, thanks SO MUCH for the terrific BINGO cards!!! You are such a love!!

Happy 4th to you and the Mister!

Vallen said...

what a wonderful place. Who knew New Yorl was so awesome? Chulo esposo, tambien.

Darla said...

Mountains and poets and bears, oh my. You're hitting on two of my favorite things... I only like bears in pictures :-)

Darla

Anonymous said...

Geez, I don't live far from Bear Mountain and yet I've never been there. I really need to go this summer, thanks for the great pics!

Christina J. said...

Bear Mountain looks great. Nice pictures! Thanks for your suggestion to visit Beads on Fifth while I was in NYC! There was a lot to look at there!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Oh what glorious pictures! I am longing for a vacation! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails