Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Aware



Elena Fiore Boatwright, Helen* to her friends and family, battled breast cancer. So did her older sister Gloria. They lived at a time where women didn't get regular mammograms or know about self checks. We are more fortunate than that.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States. Click here for free information on breast cancer and help spread the awareness.

Thank you Tamy for getting me involved.

* Helen is my maternal Grandmother. We didn't know her name wasn't Helen until she passed away and my mother found her birth certificate. The man is the photo is my grandfather, Wes. They are missed.

**********************

In sewing news . . . . yes, you heard that right. Sewing! Me! I promised myself I would get on the wagon in September and work on my sewing. So many of you amaze me everyday with your wonderful projects that I was inspired to try.

I started small with these sleep masks:



Now don't look too closely or you'll see how uneven my stitching is but it's a start!

The project is from this book:



I already adore it. There are lots of fun projects for novices like me and some larger things to work up to. My next project to try will be those bags on the bottom right there. I happen to have some round bamboo handles already. Wish me luck!

cheers
Rebecca

8 comments:

LA said...

Those bags look adorable. I might put this book on my wish list. LOVE the masks.

LA

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh hey, you've gone blue!

It's funny about the grandma's name thing. My great grandmother went by "Helene". I was sorting through some old family tree stuff and discovered that her name was actually Emma.

Mama Said Sew said...

I like the new look Rebecca!

That photo of your grandparents is great. At least Helen is close to Elena. My son calls his grandmothers Noggy and Narnie. And he thinks those are their real names!

Glad you've jumped on the sewing bandwagon. Don't worry about your stitching. I've been sewing since I was 12 and still can't sew a straight line!

Jodi Ohl said...

Nice way to tribute a cause that is so close to home. :) Your Grandparents are very nice looking, I can see your Grandmother's traits in your face.


I like how you make a goal and stick to it:) great job so far in your sewing!

Heidi said...

Congrats on jumping into the sewing thing. Cute masks!

Jane said...

lots of neat stuff going on here! I like the new look and the sewing is on a roll! I still think about that little ghostie doll you made. I may have to get this sewing book. My grnadmother had breast cancer too, but she is a rare (for the 50's) success story and lived to be 83. Her name was Hattie. My great grandma's real name was Cora, but she went by Agnes. Go figure?

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

Love your fresh new look! That book looks really nice!
~hugs~
Ang

Shopaholic D said...

thanks for pointing the book out. this is the first i've heard of it, and i def just ordered it off amazon

:) D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails