Friday, November 21, 2008

Sugar Plum Houses

Vintage Putz Houses, or paper houses, are favorites of many people. I've seen so many imitations in stores in the last few years. I purchased a few from the Martha Stewart Macy's decoration line last year. This year I decided to try to make my own.

There were many instructions for houses online and in magazines but being the non instruction reader than I am, I made up my own pattern. :)



Basically, I took a 4 x 6 jewelry box lid and cut out a 3 dimensional paper house to fit inside. (Thanks to my Mom for letting me take pictures of her working on a house!) It took a few tries to get the house template to work out the way I envisioned it. Then I added a roof, fence and windows.



The next step was to "paint" the house with a mixture of glue and water and then glitter the whole thing.



Add a glittered bottle brush tree and voila! A Goodness Sugar Plum House. :)



I also made a church . . .



and a town house. I made a green barn style house as well. I am very happy with the way these houses turned out and all in all they didn't take that much time or money. I'm really hoping to make a few more for the shop if time allows.

I can't wait to display them on my fireplace this year!

Cheers
Rebecca

20 comments:

Danielle said...

Rebecca, these look amazing! Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Years ago my kids and I made gingerbread looking houses and paper gingermen to hang on the tree.. I have now divided them up amount the grown kids and they still display them at Christmas. Amazing that their now nearly 40 years old.

Jennifer W. said...

Wow - they look great!!

LeeAnn said...

They turned out super cute. I love the church the best, with its little bell and all!

Michele said...

Hi Rebecca ~ these turned out toooo cute! Love them, especially the church!

Hugz,
Michele

Sarah and Jack said...

you already know I love them. And how sweet is the comment about where their gingerbread houses are 40 years later? Love that.

LA said...

Love them! They are adorable and sweet and glittery and handmade. Perfect for the holiday season.

LA xo

Thimbleanna said...

Very Cute Rebecca!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed that you made up your own pattern! Wow--they look great. I love the church with the little bell! :)

Jennilee said...

Way cute! Super job :)

jungle dream pagoda said...

Rebecca!!! These are soooo cute! What a great job!Can't wait to see the mantel!

Puff said...

Gah! I love those! Sigh, Puff would eat those for sure if I had them.

Queenly Things said...

They are absolutely perfect!!!!

Diane said...

How sweet! You did a wonderful job on these. I especially love that little church - even a bell!

We're going to need another shamelessly cute puppy photo soon ;)

the author said...

Hey chicky!! Long time no see :) I love your putz houses and am so glad the pink and brown swap link was still active so I could find your blog once again!
Happy Thanksgiving!
MizSmoochie

Monica said...

I was going to do some this year but I have not gotten around to it yet!!!

Sonia said...

wow these are fabulous! great job :)

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Those wouldn't last more than two minutes in my house but oh my are those cute.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those turned out really cute!

Taz said...

So cute. and I love the sparkles.
I've tagged you over on my blog again, hope you don't mind :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails