Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Bring on the Summer

It's finally sunny here in Old New York City. Something like 85 degrees out there today. I'm inside the office wearing a sweater. Nice. I just described my summer to Leigh Ann like this:

"It's crowded trains, hot subway stations and freezing office AC for me! LOL But I guess there is also escaping to the movies to enjoy their AC, trips to Rock Away Beach, cool nights at Shea and cold ones at the Astoria Beer Garden."

That about sums up NYC summers for me. Even though we are in the north east it still gets hot as you know what here. Fortunately the ocean is only 20 minutes away. :)

Speaking of summer, it's time for the Summer Swap at Sweet Goodness!



We are filling up quickly so jump on board for the Parasols, Pink Lemonade and Polka Dots Swap. Details here or click on the picture above. My mind is buzzing with ideas for this one already! What would you make??

********************

It's the little things, isn't it?



A vintage wedding crown found for $3 at thrift. I just love it. I have two other vintage bridal headpieces/veils and this third one makes it an official collection. :) Perhaps my favorite collection.

And speaking of collections . . .



Another enamel flower pin. I saw this a few weeks ago at the thrift but it was $7. I had already decided that $4 was going to be my limit for these pins or it would get out of control. So I passed on it. When I headed back last week it was still in the showcase and now was 50% off. YOINK! I'll take it. :)

A few randoms . . .



That contraption in the back is a pudding tin. I'd love to find a recipe to use it for that isn't JELLO. Perhaps a Spotted Dick? (okay I couldn't resist.) The lovely biscuit tin is also British and I think that black thing in the front MIGHT be a toast rack. So perhaps I now have a collection of misc. British stuff. I plan to use that rack for paper in the craft room. The tiny fork and spoon are Asian, Japanese I think, and came in that yellow plastic container that says "Pizza-La." So cute and only 69 cents so I had to have it. I know . . . I know . . . The yellow trivets are enamel and were a gift from my sister. She is becoming quite the thrifter!

My dear friend Dita will be here in 2 days to start our weekend of fun. I'm chompin' at the bit, can you tell?

hugs
Rebecca

7 comments:

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

What fantastic yellow trivets. How lucky you must be to have such a fabulous sister! :-D Oh and I signed up for the swap.

Thimbleanna said...

Hey! I have that exact little pudding tin, but I've never used it. My mother has a big steamer/pudding maker -- I'll try to ask her if her recipe will work in our little pudding tin and if so, I'll forward it to you -- it's a killer cranberry pudding (might not sound good, but it's HEAVENLY) that we have EVERY Christmas night -- it's our once a year treat that we all love -- even the family members who normally don't like sweets! Of course, you might not hear from me anytime soon, being as my stupid server company has totally screwed things up (blog and e-mail) so I'm apparently cut off from the world -- except to comment!!!

Barbara said...

I love your pudding tin! I've convinced myself that I really need one, although what I'd make in it I have no idea. Bet some of those British bloggers would have good ideas.

Jodi Ohl said...

I"m not sure what I'm going to make, but I do have a request in for my partner to send me everything from a to z to make a cosmpolitan..brahhahaha. :) Summer drinks, gotta love em!!

Have fun with Dita--did she move by the way??

Simply Organized 4 Life & Koaching by Kimberly said...

Wow - what awesome finds. I LOVE thrift store and antique store hopping, but lately haven't had luck with many great finds. Although you are in New York, and I am in a tiny little area in Arizona. Hmm, could be the problem here. LOL. Your blog is awesome and I'm so excited that I got signed up for the summer swap before it closed. I'm really looking forward to it.
Best,
Kimberly Miller
www.kimberleekreations.blogspot.com/

Monica said...

I have that mystery toast holder thing and I spray painted the bottom an antique white color when I was in my shabby chic mode and I have a tissue box holder with the same bottom (which I painted antique white also) so I just put rolled up wash cloths in it, I have no clue what it is really for!!!!
Beware there is a heatwave coming!!!!

Julie said...

You are going to hate me -- I keep finding enamel pins just like yours for 25-50¢. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails