Monday, April 17, 2006

First NYC Thrift Score

Thrifting in New York City is not like thrifting in Baltimore. I spent a few wasted hours checking out the Good Will & Salvation Army on 23rd street when I first moved to Manhattan, all for naught. There was also the GOLES thrift shop at the end of my block in Alphabet City. I found a few things there, but the place was small and soon closed it's doors. Then I tried the Salvation Army in Astoria but that was also a bust. Smelly, dirty things with price tags that didn't fit any thrift store I'd even been to.

This weekend I went to Savers on Hempstead Turnpike in Long Island. While it still wasn't as cheap as the places I'm used to in Charm City, it was large, organized and fairly empty at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

THE SCORE

Red & Gold Valance - $4

Sheets to use to line knit bags and/or sew - $3 each (also a matching cowboy print pillow case for $1)

One of my favorite straw trivets, 2 linen napkins, two hand embroidered linen doilies & and a vintage potholder - $1 each (doilies were together) - $4 total

Close up of hand embroidery . . .

Apple Tea Light Holders - $ 1 each

small (tea bag sized) plates - $4 for 5 (the 6th was chipped)


Also, not pictured, was a rag rug and a small glass ashtray for a total of $28 with tax. Also, the cashier gave me a coupon for 30% off my next purchase. :) Good to be thrifting again!
I'm off to Baltimore this weekend with plans to hit at least two thrifts . . .
until then . .
bex

3 comments:

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

You got a great haul, I love seeing what other thrifters come home with!

Monica said...

saver closed in East Meadow, I never have luck in hempstead, where do you live, I know where all the good ones are on Long Island!!!

woof nanny said...

Do you mosaic at all? Chipped plates are a great source of material, and you don't feel so bad about breaking something if it's already chipped. I love those apples, but I have an obsession with dishes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails